Thursday 18 April 2013

final reflection


I would certainly say that ES2007s is one of the most beneficial modules I had ever taken in NUS. Through the 13 weeks of tutorial, I had gained valuable knowledge in writing proposal, cover letter and resume, preparing for interviews, and conducting oral presentation. 

In the past two years in NUS, I had never written a proposal before as my course of study only focused on report writing. However through the ES2007s project, I had a better understanding in writing a proposal and I believe it would be of great use in my future career. When I graduate, I could be working in a research organization where it might require me to propose research projects to potential investors. Hence, the skills acquired will come in handy.

For cover letter and resume writing, the importance of it in job hunting is needless to mention.  Everyone knows that an impressive cover letter and resume increases your chance significantly in getting a job. This is the same for interviews. The writing assignments and mock interview had not only taught me on how to improve my cover letter writing and interview performance, it also made me ponder on my future career plans. I begin to see the needs for me to build up on my resume so that I would have an edge over my fellow competitors when I start to look for jobs.

Last but not least, the feedbacks that I received from my oral presentation allowed me to be aware of my weaknesses. The mistakes I had made would be a valuable learning lesson and hopefully I will do better for my subsequent presentations.

In all, I feel that this module has gotten me more prepared for my career in the future. It has been my pleasure to learn from brad and everyone else in the class. I would also like to thank Sofie, Zhiwei and Dwayne for all the hard work you guys had put in for the proposal. It was fun working with all of you.

All the best to everyone and good luck for the upcoming finals!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Michelle, for this well structured, clear and concise reflection. I like the way you weave together a brief discussion of various tasks that benefitted you. Each of your paragraphs is fairly well substantiated, providing clear evidence of your learning with regard to a specific area. It is also heartening for me to know that you see each of these as being relevant to your future. It's great when students can find intrinsic motivation for what they are asked to do during a course of study.

    You've made significant strides this term, Michelle. In fact, I was happy to see the way you embraced the challenges of the last presentation, and how well you performed. I also appreciate the way you worked so diligently and with a positive attitude within your project group. It's clear that your team dynamic was was very successful, and you were an important contributor.

    All the best now as you continue your learning journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,

    It has been a pleasure working with you for the proposal. Throughout the course of the proposal, you have made great strides in your presentation skills and language use. The feedbacks certainly have been a useful part of this course. Now that you are equipped with all the skills from ES2007S at such a early stage in NUS, I am sure you will have an edge over your peers in your course. It is never too early to pick up such skills.

    Thank you for your hard work in our proposal and presentation. All the best in the upcoming finals!

    ReplyDelete